- the concerned parents
- the parents concerned
- the present situation
- the people present
- a responsible person
- the person responsible
- She told him that she loved him.
- Only she told him that she loved him.
- She only told him that she loved him.
- She told only him that she loved him.
- She told him only that she loved him.
- She told him that only she loved him.
- She told him that she only loved him.
- She told him that she loved only him.
- man eating chicken, man-eating chicken
- I am sorry I love you. I am sorry: I love you.
- He eats, shoots, and leaves. He eats shoots and leaves.
- I am going to eat, Grandma. I am going to eat Grandma.
- I love cooking, my family, and friends. I love cooking my family and friends.
- A woman, without her man, is nothing. A woman, without her, man is nothing.
- twenty five-dollar bills, twenty-five dollar bills
- Working twenty four-hour shifts is not the same as twenty-four hour shifts, or working twenty-four-hour shifts.
- Tom was met at the airport.
- The door is being opened.
- A lot of money was paid by their parents.
- She is paid a lot of money.
- Tom was told to wait here.
- Jim will be told to wait here.
- You haven’t been helped.
- The table was set by the waiting staff.
- He is still being wanted by the police.
- I have been given his address.
- I only speak when I am spoken to.
- His book was much talked about.
- The house has not been lived in for years.
- He was granted a ten days’ leave.
- At last an agreement was arrived at.
- A mother is supposed to act in her children’s interests.
- The results are expected to be announced tomorrow.
- The fire is reported to have caused great damage.
- He is known to have painted this portrait in Italy.
- The shoes will have been mended by Monday.
- He has been promised a salary raise.
- She will not be laughed at.
- Our expenditures have to be accounted for.
- That day she was seen little of.
- At that moment he was being listened to with great interest.
- A man who is much talked about is always very attractive.
- My daughter was sent for.
- He could see that the bed was empty and that it had not been slept in.
- Her marriage was looked upon as arranged by her parents.
- The child will be taken care of somehow, don’t worry about it.
- For several months now I have been trying to make myself heard in the popular press. I have been laughed at as a fool.
- The effect of his education could never be done away with.
- Benson told me that he had been written to and asked to take up the election campaign.
- When Mary came in, the wedding preparations were being agreed upon.
- I have been given to understand that you can be relied upon.
- One child in a household of grown people is usually made very much of.
- Julia was both pleasant to look at and interesting to talk to.
(source: English Grammar Practice – Анна Павлова, Лили Грозева, София, 1993)
Has Tom had his hair cut?
Has Tom cut his hair?
Tom will have the participants called.
Tom will have his secretary call the participants.